Thursday, August 28, 2008

Eating healthfully while on vacation -Part 2

We got back from 2 days at Telegraph Cove, and as many of you may have experienced, plans changed. Everything started out just fine. We woke up early and I prepared a breakfast that we could eat in the car - whole wheat bread, light cream cheese and locally produced smoked salmon. It was a 4 hour car ride, so during our break, we had some locally grown fruit (peaches, nectarines) as a snack.


We arrived on time to Telegraph Cove and headed towards the boat for our whale watching tour. We brought with us PB&J sandwiches plus fruit for lunch to eat on the boat. The tour was awesome. We saw humpbacks, orcas (killer whales), dal porpoises (so speedy - they raced our boat), sea lions (fat and happy) and eagles. But it was very rainy and cold. The boat had some snacks so I enjoyed a hot cup of coffee and half a cookie that I shared with my son. And that warmed me up.


Once the tour was over, I went to the Grizzly Bear tour operator to get some info on the following day tour. Unfortunately, we found out that the prior days they saw just 2 and 3 bears respectively and the weather forecast was for rain again. Now this is a 8 hour tour and I have limited sitting tolerance. So we decided to cancel the tour but still stay overnight in Telegraph Cove and do some sight-seeing on the drive home the next day.


That evening, we had dinner at the only restaurant in town. I had a yummy fish stir fry with locally caught salmon, halibut and prawns. We split a dessert 3 ways. I don't remember what it was, so it was obviously not very memorable.


We stayed overnight in Telegraph Cove overlooking the marina. It was an interesting "cabin" but cold. In the morning, we awoke and wanted to eat a breakfast out. This would be our first breakfast at a restaurant in over one week. So we drove 100+ km to Sayward and had a "decadent" breakfast. The menu was made up of primarily eggs, bacon, and potatoes. Then at the bottom of the menu, I found the "Jogger's Breakfast" which was yogurt, fruit and granola. That sounded fine to me. I haven't had enough calcium during this trip, so I knew I should select the yogurt option. What I received was a cup of strawberry yogurt, a tablespoon of granola and sliced nectarines, melon and oranges on the side. In addition to this, was home-made white bread, toasted with butter. So I ate my yogurt, fruit and granola. I usually don't eat white bread, but I make an exception for almost anything home made. It was delicious. During the day we explored Strathcona Provincial Park and did some moderate hiking. Our huge breakfast kept us feeling satiated until dinner.


Ok, so this was all about my trip and meals. What does this mean for you? Well, here are some more pointers that you can take away from my experiences and examples:


1. Bring food so you can prepare meals and snacks.
2. Select locally produced foods when possible.
3. Expect some bumps in the road and work around them. Make the best of the situation. If you find that your only eating options are not what you may consider healthy, then pick the best choice and compensate for it later in the day (or the next day). One "bad" day is not a big deal as long as the majority of the days are filled with whole grains, fruits, vegies, low-fat dairy, and lean proteins.
4. Share foods when eating out. This will give you a reasonable portion and also keep the price of a meal down.
5. Enjoy your vacation! This means sampling local fare including home-made breads, pastries and other delicacies. Today we had teriyaki smoked salmon - what a treat. It tasted nothing like the smoked salmon we get in New York City. This salmon was recently smoked and thickly sliced (about 1/4 inch thick). My 10 year old son could not get enough.

No comments: